- Boot OpenEmbedded Linux system (probably other distributions as well) with the network cable unplugged. ifconfig shows eth0:avahi interface with a dummy IP address
- Plug in the Ethernet cable – no changes in ifconfig. I expected DHCP to assign an IP address
- ifdown eth0 && ifup eth0 solves the problem, but is inconvenient and can not be automated easily
Turns out, a few things were missing:
- ifplugd and ifupdown packages need to be installed;
- In the end I removed avahi-daemon and avahi-autoipd from my image – the dummy IP is confusing.
Now the network is configured automatically whenever the cable is plugged in, during boot or later